Manchester Day of Action
The world is facing a global health crisis unlike any other.
Coronavirus is causing human suffering and upending the lives of billions of people around the globe.
We need alumni like you to address this challenge.
Community volunteering near you
Manchester Day of Action is our annual community volunteering project for alumni around the world.
380 alumni across five continents took part in last year’s Manchester Day of Action. You helped us become the UK’s top ranked university in the Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings.
We need alumni like you
This year, we need alumni like you to organise a project that addresses United Nations sustainable development goal three:
- ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages.
- organise a project on your own
- work with a local organisation or charity that needs help.
Once you have chosen a project to organise, we will advertise it to other alumni near you. These alumni will work with you to complete the project.
Examples of suitable volunteering project you can organise include:
- organising a collection for a food bank
- calling people who are in isolation because of the coronavirus pandemic
- going shopping for people who can’t leave their home
- translating information about coronavirus for people who can’t read English.
You can also find volunteering opportunities on the United Nations Volunteers website.
Choose your volunteering project
When you decide on a project to organise, we will:
- help you while you organise it
- ask other alumni near you to help.
Your project can take place on one or more days.
Tell us about your project
When you have decided on a project, please tell us about it as soon as possible.
The last date you can tell us about a project is Tuesday, 30 June 2020.
Tell us about your project by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please tell us as much of this information about your project as you can.
- a short description (less than 100 words)
- date(s) and time(s)
- if the alumni who will help you need to register with a separate charity or organisation
- where and when the alumni who will help you should meet you
- if you are happy for us to share your contact details on our website and with alumni near you
What happens next
Once you have told us about your project, we will:
- reply to you within three days to confirm that your volunteering project is suitable. If it is not suitable, we will contact you to ask you to make some changes
- help you while you organise it
- advertise it to alumni near you as soon as we can
- ask these alumni to register through our website
- ask these alumni to work with you to help you complete the project.
If other alumni near you have told us about a similar project, we may ask you to join their project.
Your project should finish by Sunday, 30 August 2020.
Benefits to you
Alumni who have volunteered for Manchester Day of Action tell us that:
- it improves their own wellbeing
- they enjoy working with other Manchester alumni
- they feel proud to make a positive contribution.
To thank you, we will:
- celebrate and tell the story of your contribution
- share photographs of your project on social media
- recognise you by writing a recommendation on LinkedIn. Please email email@example.com to request this.
We’re sorry, but we can’t refund expenses for your project this year.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
We encourage you to follow your country’s latest guidance to protect yourself and others from coronavirus.
How we use your information
The University of Manchester Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DDAR) processes personal information in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. Our Privacy Notice is available here; and further information about data protection at the University is available here. Please tell us how you want to hear from DDAR by contacting us on email@example.com or +44 (0)161 306 3066; if you are a graduate you can also manage your personal information online at https://network.manchester.ac.uk/.