Connect and get advice
If you want advice from people working where you want to be, you’ve come to the right place.
Ask Me About
- want help streamlining a sharp CV;
- be looking for work experience or a job;
- just have a question about a particular field of interest – the alumni offering advice on Ask Me About on the Manchester Network can help you;
- want to bounce an idea off an impartial professional;
- be looking for advice on how to step up in your career;
- be planning a complete career change and want to suss out a potential new industry.
The Manchester Network isn’t just about helping students – alumni can also tap into the network and get advice and guidance from fellow professionals too.
Your level of commitment
There’s no commitment involved, no application process and all questions are valid. It’s as simple as composing a message and pressing send.
With over 2,500 alumni from a range of industries offering support to people like you, it’s about choosing which or how many professionals you want to speak to.
You can also search for people who share a similar background to you who may be able to offer you valuable insight or advice from a shared perspective.
Make a connection
Shake off any nerves about approaching alumni and be assured that those professionals offering advice have specifically volunteered to do so.
It’s worth remembering that they were in your position once too. Reach out and make a connection – you never know where it might lead you.
Log in to the Manchester Network, go to the Mentoring tab and search by interests and profession. Find the alumni you would like to connect with and click the Send request button under Ask Me About.
- How to create a Manchester Network account with LinkedIn
- How to create a Manchester Network account without LinkedIn
* Manchester Gold is currently on pause. Look out for the relaunched programme early 2020 *
Students can also use the Manchester Network to apply to join the Manchester Gold – a more formal mentoring programme that takes place over six months.
Read more about Manchester Gold on the Careers Service website:
Why use the Manchester Network instead of LinkedIn?
Unlike other networking sites, the Manchester Network is purely for students and alumni of the University.
You share the common experience of graduating from the same institution and you can be assured that the people offering advice have specifically volunteered to do so.
How we use your information
The University of Manchester Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DDAR) processes personal information in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. Our Privacy Notice is available here; and further information about data protection at the University is available here. Please tell us how you want to hear from DDAR by contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)161 306 3066; if you are a graduate you can also manage your personal information online at https://network.manchester.ac.uk/.